Saturday, January 29, 2005

The Old Whig answers your questions.

[Where's that damn wig? Ahh. I going to have to sneak into the wife's powder box tonight or tomorrow. It's getting a little dark.]

A reader writes* with many questions on the subjects of sex and gender. I will not get into the revelations about the gentleman who was, shall we say, not vying for the appellation of Mahatma.

My procedure will be to answer the questions here, but I will do you the great favor of requiring that you, should you wish to understand my answers, go to the original post(s) to find the questions. I do not vouch for the veracity nor the sincerity of my answers and I advise you to recall the notice on the frontispiece of my colleague Samuel Clemens' Huckleberry Finn:
PERSONS attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR, Per G.G., Chief of Ordnance.

*How do you like the way I imply that someone sent a long letter imploring my expert opinion on these matters?

Proceeding:

As a Deist, it is not so difficult for me to assert that The Almighty has not yet completed his creation and perfection remains in the future.

We retain the trappings of our Puritan forefathers in our personal communications and continue to try to protect the illusions we expect that others hold, while at the same time many of us have thrown off those trappings in our actual actions. (I'm not actually including myself among those scum.)

I suspect there is a self-selection issue with those studies you cite. Those who still hold to the actual religion of the Puritans would probably not be willing to answer such questions, while those who are eager to answer them are all sluts and lechers. [PSAs for my Google Ads for the next week.]

I'm sorry, The Old Whig thought he was a liberated, twenty-first century man, and therefore up to answering all of Omni's (oops, spilled the beans) questions, but he's afraid there are a couple issues "out of his purvue." Also, forgive the extended amount of time required to write this post (I actually started it Friday), because, in the interest of research, I decided to discuss it with my wife, and, well... one thing led to another...

...
Telling a woman what to think about how women should think is not a thing I think a man should do. [I have three older sisters.]

Why do you assume that the next shipful of aliens won't be Puritans seeking freedom to practice their repressive religion here?

Blame Omni for playing my Muse today.