Friday, July 23, 2004

One more quick post as a spacer

Here's a quote from Walter Lippmann (not this guy) that I got from Freedom's Nest:

Free institutions are not the property of any majority. They do not confer upon majorities unlimited powers. The rights of the majority are limited rights. They are limited not only by the constitutional guarantees but by the moral principle implied in those guarantees. That principle is that men may not use the facilities of liberty to impair them. No man may invoke a right in order to destroy it.


I've always felt that this was a little unclear. I'll meditate on it and expound on it later. One of the problems I have doing that is that I first try to get inside the head of the person speaking to me, and I haven't seen enough of this guy's stuff to do that.

So, I guess I'll just have to state what I think he means in my own words. Or what I would mean if I said it.

Update: I just added the links above. Good stuff there.

No comments: