Monday, July 19, 2004

Environmentalists Learn From Experience

I don't know why that surprises me.  I did. 
 
From Time:
Death By Mosquito Malaria, like AIDS, is killing millions. But unlike AIDS, it can be cured. Why isn't that happening?By CHRISTINE GORMAN 
 
Even environmentalists had to admit that DDT was necessary. "I wasn't very happy about it, but we are what you'd call pragmatic conservationists," says Gerhard Verdoorn, chairman of South Africa's Endangered Wildlife Trust, which had earlier lobbied the South African government to drop the pesticide and now helps train the 350 or so DDT sprayers who are employed each year. "We can't just look after animals and not care if people die."
That's the kind of attitude that will make a difference in the battle against malaria.
 

Life is looking up, what's with the gloom and doom title? 
[Blogger needs an "undo" button.  I hit the blockquote button and the whole article turned into a link.  Update: I may have fixed it.]

Update: S. Michael Moore reminds me that I have a previous post on DDT as well.  The link to his, in which he links us to a Walter Williams article, is here.  The Williams article is here.  I think I missed that one.  Inexplicably.


No comments: