Sunday, July 18, 2004

Kinda busy this weekend.

I finally got around to reinstalling the window air conditioner so we won't waste so much money and energy running the central air.  Baby-sat, but the baby was sleeping and Rosie was constructing new worlds in (on?) Zoo Tycoon.  (I think she's gotten past unleashing man-eating beasts on the guests.)  So that basically meant that I watched golf on TV.  And the Olympic Swimming trials.  Looks like we'll have a heck of a good team this year.  The Aussie's are tough, though. 
 
I was going to watch the track and field trials, but I went out and worked on the hedge instead (the wife was back).  I had to get outside, it's such a beautiful day.  The other day I did a bunch of yardwork with Aliina in a backpack.  She really likes that.  She sits back their and pulls on my stubbly hair and sings in her little baby way.
 
I was a shotputter (mediocre, but I won a few ribbons) in highschool.  When I started running for exercise, I discovered that I'm actually pretty fast when I try to be, so I missed an opportunity there.  A couple times as a blocker in football I ran down defensive backs, but you have to watch it when you do that that you don't clip 'em.  Tough to make a good block in those circumstances.  I sort of specialized in backside blocking, which, if you don't know, means that when the play was going to the left - I was the right guard -  I had to take out anybody going for the ball from the right.  If I didn't take out three guys I was disappointed.  We had a lot of long runs to the left.
 
Wow, that's gotta be dull for non-football fans.  Or most fans, because very few people give a rat's behind about the intricacies of offensive line play.  I, personally, could care less about what's going on with the ball.  Unless it crossed the goal line because of me.
 
I am, fortunately or un, my brother's brother.  But we try not to afflict the world with reminiscences of our glory days too often.

No comments: