Monday, February 09, 2004

What makes me tolerant

is not that I overlook other people's sins, it's that I see their virtues. And I remember my own sins.

What makes me a Libertarian is that I don't believe that people should have part or all of their lives taken away for mistakes that didn't result in the destruction of part or all of someone else's life.

We used to have a frontier, where people could go to start over when they had screwed up their lives completely. Restorative justice, as Dr. Mary Ruwart advocates, in which victimizers restore the damage they've done to victims and not this bogus victims-forgiving-victimizers crap (I believe in forgiveness, but not for criminals who have not demonstrated repentence by their actions), is the only solution in a more crowded world, with no escape hatch.

No comments: