Saturday, February 28, 2004

It's over 40 degrees here.

I was out reading in my shorts, t-shirt & sandals. I only came in because the wife went off to curves and I gotta babysit. Plus, I'm fish-belly white and I don't want to burn. I hear the UV rays can concentrate on ya pretty good off the snow. But even the light-gusting wind was pleasant.

I was listening to Taxpayers League Live on AM1280 The Patriot. I've already told you how much I like David Strom.

I truly live the life of the Epicurean.

I was reading Faith and Liberty: The Economic Thought of the Late Scholastics, edited by Alejandro A. Chafuen. Check out this passage:

"Those who, for seeing the demise of their business, cling to the magistrates [authority] as a shipwrecked person to a rock and attempt to alleviate their difficulties at the cost of the State are the most pernicious of men. All of them must be rejected and avoided with extreme care."

[Not least by investors--ed. (me, not Chafuen)] That was the great Juan de Mariana, who didn't shy from advocating regicide if you have a bad king.

Here's another guy:

"Garcia criticized merchants and businessmen who avow that they always have the right to earn a profit:

"This is a very big mistake and a diabolic persuasion because the art of business and of those who make money buying and selling must be equally open to profits and losses, depending on luck [fortune]."

And here is Saint Thomas Aquinas justification of profits:

"1. To provide for the businessman's household.
2. To help the poor.
3. To ensure that the country does not run short of essential supplies.
4. To compensate the businessman's work.
5. To improve the merchandise.

"Saint Thomas also ascribed legitimacy to profits obtained from price variations in response to local changes as well as those earned through the lapse of time. Furthermore, he allowed for profits that would compensate the risks of transport and delivery."

No comments: