Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Starsplash, my brother,

said the other day that Ted Kazinski's problem was that he was in too much of a hurry to wait for persuasion to work. I have said that Government is the Institutionalization of Impatience. Government is Force. A great quote, which has been, so I hear, falsely attributed to George Washington, says "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

I don't fault Kazinski for thinking he could act like the government. I fault him for resorting to government-like behavior before trying persuasion. But then again, his views are de rigueur at our universities and government schools.

He is, and they are, wrong.

No comments: