Monday, February 21, 2005

The world, it seems to me, is crying out for the wisdom of The Dhammapada.

Long time readers know that this comes from The Wisdom of China and India, edited by Lin Yutang. Get, as I say, your own.

(By the way, it appears that Hunter S. Thompson has decided to cease being an inspiration to libertines. We wish him well in the next life.)

This chapter is translated by F. Max Mueller.
CHAPTER 1: THE TWIN-VERSES

All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him, as the wheel follows the foot of the ox that draws the carriage.
All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it made up of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
"He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me"--in those who harbor such thoughts hatred will never cease.
He abused me, he beat me, he defeated me, he robbed me"--in those who do not harbor such thoughts hatred will cease.
For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love--this is an old rule.
The world does not know that we must all come to an end here; but those who know it, their quarrels cease at once.

I feel the need to stop here.

No comments: