Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I see my beloved Carly

has hit the bricks.

The kiss of death, I am.

Looks just like her critics thought she was an uppity bitch.

Read the WaPo article. She's all woman, that one!

Well, all right, there are rumors of a downside:
Hewlett-Packard holds a special place in Silicon Valley's history. Famously founded in a garage by two Stanford students, it was known for its "HP Way," a set of values that believed in a flat management structure and a respect for all employees. The top officials were known for walking around the design and shop floors regularly and chatting up even the lowest-level employees at random.

Fiorina, in contrast, Hewlett-Packard employees said, was often visible only on a TV broadcast of company meetings. She flew around the world on a corporate jet and insisted on directly approving initiatives large and small -- even to the point, critics said, of micromanaging many initiatives.

But what really set employees against her was a decision to cut jobs after the merger. Angry employees said that the family-oriented company's founders would never have stood for the layoffs.

I believe I mentioned that I was working for (or, rather, at; I'm an outside contractor) HP when she was hired. I don't know why I like her, come to think of it: I left that site because I heard the office was going to be cut and our contract with it. (Not because I hated my co-worker, guys. I thought she did great work, actually--though sometimes it was tough to get her to do this one job that I brought in. I got some advice for managers that'll make another post.)