Wednesday, May 19, 2004

A comment by LibertyBob,

under my last post from the Lin Yutang book, spurred me to do a Google search on Asatru. Here's some of what I found:

Throughout Scandinavia the religion is called Forn SiĆ°r (which means the Ancient way or tradition), Forn sed (the Old custom), Nordisk sed (Nordic custom), or Hedensk sed (Pagan custom). The religion's origin is lost in antiquity. At its peak, it covered all of Northern Europe. In 1000 CE, Iceland became the second last Norse culture to convert to Christianity. Their prime motivation was economic. Sweden was ruled by a Pagan king until 1085 CE.


I thought it sounded familiar. They've got a good list of virtues:

Life Values: They follow the Nine Noble Virtues: Courage, Truth, Honor, Fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance and Perseverance. The family is greatly valued and honored. They reject any form of discrimination based on ethnicity, gender, language, nationality, race, sexual orientation, or "other divisive criteria".


I wonder if LibertyBob saw the post in which I put this link. They seem to be having some sort of problem right now. Maybe they're updating. I've noticed some difficulty in visiting a number of sites lately. It's probably related to all the adware, viruses, worms and trojans flying around out there.

I had a hell of a time trying to access The Bugbear Zone for about a week. I figured the guy had banned me for making an inane comment on his blog. Or maybe he had a look over here and hated my generic Blogger Template or something. I don't agree with him politically, at least about the big issues of the day, but he's really funny.

No comments: