Thursday, March 25, 2004

A letter from Senator Coleman

I agree wholeheartedly with what he says here. Though it's sad.

March 25, 2004

Mr. Alan Erkkila
[Ya'll don't need my street address. If ya do, I'm in the book.]

Thank you very much for contacting me regarding the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (S. 1805). I appreciate your support and value your advice. On March 2, 2004, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act failed to pass the Senate by a vote of 8-90.

As you know, S. 1805 proposed to prohibit lawsuits against manufacturers, distributors, dealers and importers of firearms and ammunition for the illegal use of their products by a third party. While I agree with the majority of the Senate that it is unwise to hold people liable for the illegal actions of a third party, I could not support the final version of S. 1805 due to several "poison pill" amendments that were attached to the bill in order to undermine its very purpose.

I am disappointed that we were not able to pass a clean bill, but I am hopeful that in the future we will be able to pursue legislation that remains true to the original intent of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Please know that, as a member of the Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus, I am a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights and the rights of the people to protect themselves, their families and their homes from danger.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me. Again, I appreciate your support. If I can be of further assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments: