Thursday, March 18, 2004

I got into it with a guy over at

Amanda's blog, and he mentioned some authors I should study:

Al,

Please direct studies to David M. Kennedy, Professor of History at Stanford University. As for Hoover, his dictum included fostering trade associations, but shunned direct government involvement. Hoover, more than anyone, understood the coming gale of the Great Depression with its arcane and aberrant dynamics. When America applauded his ascendancy to president, Hoover quietly focused on stanching the bleeding of the economy. By then, however, the problem lay well beyond his control. I might also recommend Alvin H. Hansen's "Full Employment or Stagnation (193[-]."

Damn! I just added another comment.

Kennedy's latest big work: The American People in Depression and War, 1929-1945 (Oxford History of the United States, Vol 9)
by David M. Kennedy

And here's what I find on Alvin H. Hansen.

I'll try the library first. I have a freakin' house full of books.

Update: I think I just fixed the problem.

No comments: