Thursday, April 01, 2004

Another reason I'm a libertarian,

that I was reminded of by, seeing old friends at my twentieth reunion in 2001, is that two of the women I was passionately in love with have, how shall I say, gone the other way.

The love was different in each case. One I wanted right now! She was hot and fun and... I felt things about her I don't care to express (as a Minnesotan [Sure I'm from Wisconsin, but the sources for my Nordic reserve are the same.]). The other, I loved on many levels. Physically, no problem. Mentally, hadn't she bested me in battles of wits through junior high and high school? They were battles of humor, but she won. Spiritually, I think we were very compatible, we were involved in some of the same Bible studies.

But... I guess, I wanted to do some goofing around during my college years. Not screwing around. Just...the kind of thing I didn't get growing up 20 miles out of town in the swamp where the only neighbors I had my own age were either detestable scum or made unavailable by their parents. That's how I saw it then. Looking back from age 40 the differences weren't that great. The cultural gulfs not that unbridgeable.

The point is, that however inarticulate I am in their presence, I will always love those two women. And I wish they were still in my life.

Somehow.

No comments: