Monday, May 08, 2006

We had a nice weekend here.

60s and 70s for highs, sunny... What more can you ask? I sunburned my bald head... Hey! It's like a joke from That '70s Show!

I used to make fun of people like me myself back in the seventies. I see the humor now from both sides. You kids look pretty humorous to me too.

Anyway...

We had the in-laws in last weekend. I know I said we were going to have them in last weekend, but they had some plumbing problems they needed to take care of...

Sure, I was happy to spend the weekend washing my non-existent hair.

No, I've taken up the hobby of tending my yard, particularly battling the recent infestation of dandelions. All right, I've planted Sunflowers, Cantaloupes and Morning Glories, and I'm also defending the wild Violets from all the broad-leaved weeds that are attacking my yard.

Yeah, yeah, I've allowed my hick gardening tendencies free reign for too long. Of course, if I'd grown up in a climate in which getting beautiful things to grow were a problem, I might have understood the situation better here in Suburbia. Where I grew up, you just cut down the things you didn't want and the things you did want would have free reign.

Basically, that meant that, if I didn't like a plant, I ran the lawn-mower over it and something I liked better would take it's place. I was mowing at least an acre of land when I moved out of my parent's house. I notice nobody since has equaled my assault on the encroachment of the wilderness...

On the other hand... I spent my childhood and youth seeking the peace of the wilderness, and only encroached on it on orders from my beloved elders.

I looked at that land last summer. My wife didn't think we had time to make further inquiries... And since our baby was too young to appreciate much of her environment, I passed on the opportunity to experience My Land further.

But... I plan to invoke my best persuasive efforts toward showing those places to my daughters: the strawberry fields, the blueberry and raspberry patches... I know the apple and plum trees are gone. They were cut down by my Uncle Dave when he owned the place... And he was right to do it, they weren't going to produce any more fruit... But... And the three big, I suppose, overgrown lilac bushes.

I've been missing them all terribly this beautiful spring. The smell of lilacs, the smell of apple blossoms...plum blossoms...

We have a big, overgrown lilac bush here. Many of our neighbors have big apple trees, heavily laden with fragrant blossoms.

I think I saw a plum tree around here in the neighborhood.

Nostalgia, to me.

Here's my present and my future.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
I see much to love.

Don't you?

No comments: