Monday, October 10, 2005

Robert Ringer has this purported quote from The Buddha

in his book, Action! Nothing Happens Until Something Moves (p. 50 of the hardcover):
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Amen.

And your own research and experience.

I'm particularly enamored of the section beginning on that page: Universal Principles:
All of life is based on universal principles or laws. We cannot create or alter principles; we can only try to discover them, and once discovered, find ways to use them to our advantage. A principle is a natural law that has always existed and will continue to exist as long as there is a universe. A principle is the essence of reality.

the foundational principle of the universe, as well as all aspects of secular life, is well known to everyone: Actions have consequences. If I push you (an action), something will happen: i.e., there will be a consequence. You may fall down, you may stumble, or, at the very least, you will feel pressure against your body. You may also get mad at me, walk away, or push me back. The point is that I cannot escape the reality that my action, no matter how small, will have consequences. Where I start to invite problems into my life is when I delude myself into believing that I can push you without there being any consequence at all.

Believing that one can create his own principles is a futile and dangerous way to live life. Of course, a person has a perfect right to go on believing whatever he wants to believe, but truth isn't discriminatory. It will mere our negative consequences just as harshly to a well-meaning, ignorant individual as to one who is malicious and self-delusive. Not once has truth excused anyone for being well meaning.

You can find more of what he has to say at www.robertringer.com (those are his article archives).

No comments: