Monday, October 10, 2005

Here's the hook I made at the blacksmith's shop:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I just realized that the brassing doesn't show in this picture. The wife was telling me it was dumb to try to shoot it after dark, but I never listen to her.

Partly it's that I chopped it out of this picture:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
My camera claims to be good for close-ups, by I've always been disappointed with my results.

What I dearly wish I had a good picture of ("...the best writers of English have always ended their sentences with prepositions." --All right, I forget which great writer of English wrote that, but I guarantee you'll see it in Chaucer, Shakespeare and the KJV.) was Rosie and I dancing over the rocks of the breakwater leading out to the lighthouse at the Superior entrance to St. Louis Harbour on Wisconsin Point.

Wisconsin Point was, until the 1990s, one of the great bastions of freedom in the world. There was no Authority there at all. The camping was wonderful, and the partying was awesome.

But the government's there now.

Of course, they didn't stop us from running out to the lighthouse, as dangerous as that is. Rosie was cautious, but she made it. If you don't trust your balance, it's like rock climbing...it is rock climbing--it'd be very easy to break your leg. For a semi-decent athlete, it's a challenging jog and a good exercise in concentration. But, of course, I didn't want to leave my beloved Rosie behind to fend for herself, or let her become discouraged, so I tried to show her the easy way and sometimes let her find it for herself.

She often makes me proud, and she did that day. That's just about my favorite thing in the world to do, and it was wonderful to share it with her. As I did with the boys 15 years ago.

Here we are today:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I should mention that my cheap digital camera has a three second delay after you push the button, so that explains why Niina's not smiling and Rosie's book has closed. It's an HP Photosmart 120. Hopefully they've figured out some of these problems since 2003.

No comments: