Friday, June 01, 2007

What the H does "serrefine" mean?

That's the word that Evan O'Dorney spelled to win the National Spelling Bee.

I had to wash caked on playdirt from the younger girl, so I missed the end of it, but those words are unbelievable. I suppose they have to find words that will knock those kids out, man, but I don't know...

Here I go, looking it up...
serre·fine (sâr-fn, sr-)
n.
A small spring forceps used for approximating the edges of a wound, or for temporarily closing an artery during surgery.

OK, so there's actually a semi-common use for that word.

The girl was knocked out by cyanophycean. Wouldn't you be? When I write my dictionary, fancy words for pond-scum will be specifically excluded.

Cyanophycean is apparently an adjective derived from
Noun 1. Cyanophyceae - photosynthetic bacteria found in fresh and salt water, having chlorophyll a and phycobilins; once thought to be algae: blue-green algae


I wonder how long ago they found out that it was bacteria and not algae. They never give any history in dictionaries.

No comments: