Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ron Paul, the outsider's outsider, for President

Here's an article that gives me hope. I got it from FND. (Do I have a permanent link to them? That reminds me: I need to put in one for The Skreeching Skraeling.)

Yeah, I read the first three comments. They just give rise to the question, are Indian calls excluded from American Idol's voting system?

I actually haven't managed to catch Sanjaya's act, but the word on the street is that he's horrible.

Enough scatterbraining! Back to the article:
Before now, I never would have imagined what I’m about to say could potentially have an impact. There is a reason third-option candidates never stand a chance in presidential elections, and that is because Americans not only like to vote for someone they roughly believe in — they like to vote for someone they think can actually win.

But something different is happening at the moment. And that something different makes me believe something different can happen in next year’s election.

The something different in question is a lanky, long-haired Indian kid named Sanjaya Malakar, who, despite his lack of charisma and talent, is somehow taking this year’s American Idol by storm. More than just a passing fad, I believe Sanjaya’s unlikely success means something. A hundred years from now, I predict historians will credit him as the reason a little known Republican congressman from Texas became our next U.S. president.

I'm enough of a natural-born monkey-wrencher to appreciate that point. And, of course,
I don’t want to discuss whether Ron Paul is what’s “best” for America. I do believe it, but I’m not going to say it, since that’s the kind of thing a Hillary Clinton supporter would say. Instead, I want to focus on this idea of voting “for the worst.” There isn’t a doubt in my mind that Ron Paul would be the establishment’s worst nightmare.

Yeah! Up the establishment!

Of course, most people who like that phrase would give us Robespierre rather than LaFayette...

We are born ignorant and the wise die.

No comments: