Thursday, April 12, 2007

I was listening to the local guys here defending Don Imus

Or rather his right to say what he said without fear of reprisals. Jay Coles was making much of the "chilling effect" that the response of his employers and sponsors would have on free speech.

I agree that Imus can say anything he wants, and the government exists so that nobody can get away with pulling a gun on him or physically attacking him for it. The Constitution exists to prevent the government from doing the latter itself.

BUT!

We as society - WE THE PEOPLE - have the right to chill any damn thing we want!

Just as long as we don't use violence or the threat thereof to do it.

Update: Kyle has some interesting things to say about a different aspect of the issue.

Which reminds me of another point that I forgot to make: there is no requirement for Society, the Market - basically WE THE PEOPLE - to speak with one voice irrevocably. There are an awful lot of socially retarded people who wish otherwise.

This point isn't in any way directed at Kyle. I agree with what he's saying. Free speech means that I can tell Imus and Sharpton both to piss off. And they can call me a gasahol for doing so.

No comments: