Thursday, April 05, 2007

One more before bed:

Mark asked:
1) Have you ever been on a diet, counted calories, etc etc?



1b) Did it work: Yes or No?



2) How do you eat over the course of the day? Nibble, three large meals, etc etc?



3) Does your job make it hard for you to eat like you want and when you want?



4) What is the one area where you think you could do better at?



My answers:
1. Yes. What a pain in the rear, although you do get pretty good at just knowing after a week or so.

1b. It worked when I was a 150 lb. 10 yr-old and my mother put me on the God-awful version of the the Weight-Watchers Diet they had back in the early '70s. She did all the counting, you see.

2. Small meals often seem to work best for me: 5 or 6. And don't each any sugar, bread or anything like them - unless you're immediately going to go run it off.

3. I work at a place that just doesn't understand the evils of high-glycemic index foods. You may know where that is, but don't tell anyone.

4. I've been noshing on crap all winter. I got into the habit again as I approached the Twin Cities Marathon last fall. With the fall off in training due to wimpiness about the weather, I've gained back about 15 lbs.

I'm bouncing around the low 220s right now. If I get any exercise at all, I get pretty close to the 220 barrier, but my eating habits have been really HS.

I blame sobriety, personally. One way to stay sober is to make sure you really feel like crap when it's time to decide which way to turn on your way out of work (toward the liquor store or away from it). The last thing you want is to feel like celebrating when it's time to make that decision. Nothing makes you feel crappier then than downing a couple candy bars at 3:00.

Plays hob with the home chores though.

No comments: