Sunday, March 19, 2006

Rosie would like me to write something funny.

I don't know if I'll succeed, since I'm such a navel-gazer, but I'll give it a shot.

I'll just start off talking about family life and see what turns up.

We, Rosie and I, have story time every night. Since last summer, we've read the Harry Potter series, the Narnia books and now we're working on L.M. Montgomery's Anne books (Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, etc.). We're reading Anne of Windy Poplars right now.

I've spent my whole life trying to be a manly man and now it's come to this. (Sigh!) Oh, well. I guess it's more important to me to be a good dad to my daughters than to be macho.

The fact is that I'm enjoying the books a great deal. Montgomery does a fantastic job of evoking the beauty that Anne sees in life, even though she began as an abused orphan waif, and then all the funny or sad things that happen as she grows into her family on Prince Edward Island.

Rosie's still interested in the stories, even though Anne is now in her twenties and a Principal of a school. Of course that keeps kids as a central part of the story. Rosie was watching over my shoulder and she wanted to see a little bit about that in here.

Now she's gone up to watch Extreme Home Make-over and Lena's down here trying to get me to play with her Clifford puppet. Oop! Took me too long. She's going back "upsthtair."

She's back. Giving me five, laughing at the hearts and flowers on her clothes. Counting something, looking for her rubber ducky, coveting my miniature '69 Olds Cutlass S. It's kinda hard to keep up. I can't type that fast.

I put up some pictures of her in "the back room". Well, one of her (more in and older post) and two of Rosie playing outside in the snow. We made a snowman today. And there's one picture of my workshop/weightroom.

My Lenten resolution was to eat only meat and vegetables, but then Girl Scout cookies came out. Oh, well.

Rosie read to me Omni's St. Patrick's Day post. I only had to correct her pronunciation of a couple words. I didn't put her up to it. Not sure why she felt the need, but what could it hurt, eh? She learned at least one new word.

She wanted to look at people I've linked. I tried Mean Ol' Meany first, because she thought the name was funny, but that wasn't really suitable for children. She thought the dog with the beer was pretty funny. But we stopped reading the comments rather quickly.

No comments: