Monday, March 06, 2006

Damn! Kirby Puckett died!

I'm listening now to Kent Hrbek on TV.... This will be a bit hard for me to write anything worth reading.

I loved Kirby. I came to Minnesota in 1987. It probably won't surprise anybody that I became a fan of the Twins that year. I think Puckett won my heart for the Twins when I was working a double shift one night and he hit for the cycle while we were listening on the radio. For those, ignorant of baseball jargon, that means he hit a single, a double, a triple and a homerun. If you don't know what those terms mean, I can't help you here.

Let's make it clear. I wasn't even a baseball fan, though it's hard to be an American boy and not learn a lot about the game. I suppose Moliter's 25 game hitting streak to start the '87 season got me pretty interested. But, as I say, I knew some things about baseball by then. I knew about Joe DiMaggio's streak and Pete Rose's. Actually, I learned about the former via the latter. Looks like 'Roids can't screw up that record.

Pretty sure Puck wasn't a "roid boy". [A friend and workout partner of mine was once called that. He considered it a complement, since he's one of those people who doesn't need steroids. I hope the RCMP is using his talent properly.]

[Interruption to blow bubbles and put bunnies to bed.]

I suppose it's just as well that I've lost my train of thought. There are better sources of info on what's happened.

No comments: