Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dave Thompson's on the air right now, though he'll be off by the time

I publish this.

He's my favorite local radio personality. [That link says "Weekend Shows;" he's been on nightly from 7:30-10:00 for three weeks.] I liked Jason Lewis better when he was in town, but then he moved to Charlotte. And then, that was then, before Lewis fell under the spell of Pat Buchanen. Frankly, I like Buchanen, too, as a guy, but I don't like his political philosophy at all.

Anyway, Dave Thompson's the closest thing to a minarchist libertarian you'll find on the air, short of Neal Boortz, though usually Dave applies a touch of "Minnesota Nice" when he disagrees with you.

One thing Dave has always had over Jason is that he's not given to abusing his vocabulary. That LLD has paid off at least in that respect.

Completely off topic, I met Jason once at an appearance. I'm a 6'0" 230, strong as an ox, brown-eyed handsome man, and I'm not accustomed to being bowled over by the appearance of another male, but I was when I walked up to shake his hand.

He absolutely fit my model of masculine perfection. Pictures don't capture it. "Broad at the shoulder, narrow at the hip," he's gotta be all of 6' 3"... Red hair, every feature strong... I was pole-axed.

And he seemed to recongnize all that with warmth and consideration. I won't transcribe that abortive conversation, because it's embarassing to me. But I left a greater fan because of how he handled it.

I'll always be a fan of his for that, even though I find that Dave Thompson now does a better job of expressing my political opinions on the air than he did when he left.

No comments: