Monday, August 09, 2004

I'm still kind of fried

from the long and late drive home last night, but we had a great time at the White Oak Rendezvous.

We got there about two hours before sunset on Thursday - the packing was just one thing after another and we had to stop at several stores before we finally got out of town, and traffic was hell by then - so our friends helped us set up camp. But WhiteOak has full-time "interpreters" putting on shows for visitors, like Old Fort William in Thunder Bay, Ont., Canada, or Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia. I've never been to the latter, but I don't think they throw in as much humor there. Maybe, but my understanding of the voyageurs is that they didn't feel the threat of the wilderness and the savages living there as much as the English settlers did.

Are there any other interpretive historical sites out there?

Unfortunately, I lost track of my digital camera (it's in the pile somewhere, but I didn't use it), so I'll have to scan photos from the 35mm when we get them developed. I'm interested to see if I ever got a good one of the cannons firing.

No comments: