Friday, August 20, 2004

FFF got caught

by the Hitler gun "quote" the other day. This one:
This year will go down in history! For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!

They directed me to read this, from The Straight Dope in their retraction. Here's some meat from the article for you to chew on:
OK, so the quote and cite are screwed up. What about the supposed law itself? Well, as described in the FAQ, 1935 "has no correlation with any legislative effort by the Nazis for gun registration." (Nor, for that matter, does 1936, the year you mention in your question.) Indeed, there was no need for the Nazis to pass a law like that, because the earlier Weimar government had already passed gun registration laws. When I asked Cramer about his research, he said, "The laws adopted by the Weimar Republic intended to disarm Nazis and Communists were sufficiently discretionary that the Nazis managed to use them against their enemies once they were in power." In other words, they didn't need to pass additional laws. The Nazis did pass a weapons law in 1938, but that only added restrictions to the previous law, especially for Jews and other "non-citizens."

He's got good links there too.

I finally passed 3000 hits (I don't count page views) since I got my counter in February. Things were going kind of slow until I became the acknowledged master of AdWare. "I wonder if this guy knows anything." Click. "Nope." Click.

Ah, well...

No comments: