Sunday, July 09, 2006

This saying of Confucius needs a couple WODs,

"The true gentleman is conciliatory but not accommodating. The common man is accommodating but not conciliatory."

con·cil·i·ate
v. con·cil·i·at·ed, con·cil·i·at·ing, con·cil·i·ates
v.tr.
1. To overcome the distrust or animosity of; appease.
2. To regain or try to regain (friendship or goodwill) by pleasant behavior.
3. To make or attempt to make compatible; reconcile.
v.intr.
To gain or try to gain someone's friendship or goodwill.

ac·com·mo·dat·ing adj. Helpful and obliging.


That seems wrong. I wonder if this will help:

ac·com·mo·date
v. ac·com·mo·dat·ed, ac·com·mo·dat·ing, ac·com·mo·dates
v.tr.
1. To do a favor or service for; oblige.
2. To provide for; supply with.
3. To hold comfortably without crowding.
4. To make suitable; adapt.
5. To allow for; consider: an economic proposal that accommodates the interests of senior citizens.
6. To settle; reconcile.
v.intr.
1. To adapt oneself; become adjusted: It is never easy to accommodate to social change.
2. Physiology To become adjusted, as the eye to focusing on objects at a distance.

Drat! I guess I'll just have to contemplate this further.
-----------------------------------------

And, so I don't forget, this lady's tagged me with a meme (OK, she's tagging everybody, not just me) I need to write about.

No comments: