Monday, July 31, 2006

Holy Crap! It's 101 degrees out!

I took a walk at noon. It was hot, but not that bad. Oh, yeah, I checked before that and it was 97. [Where did I put that code? There it is!] 97°. Very logical.

What is 101° F in C? About 38°?

The wife & kids are hanging out in a tent in Deer River. Hopefully, they're actually in the river.

Oh, good. It's only 89° there according to Weather.com. I was afraid it would be pretty much the same all over the state.

I'm going up Friday night after work. I brought them up there yesterday and set up the tent. Rosie, who's not great at paying attention to what Laurie and I are talking about, was pretty unhappy when she found out I was going home. ('Liina didn't seem to notice.) We do all our exploring together. She'll be pretty tied to the tent with just Laurie to watch her.

I think the Rendezvous classes start on Tuesday. I hope so, for Rosie's sake, though it's too bad, it's not really feasable to run up there and set up camp after a workday and get back home in time to get some sleep before the next workday. Mapquest claims it's a four hour drive, but it only took us that long because we stopped to eat. I got home in 3¼. No, come to think of it, it was slightly less than three hours, but... It's a good thing no cops saw me.

My rule is, don't be the fastest guy on the road, but there's a lot of leeway in that rule. It certainly keeps you awake, pushin' the limits of the old pickup.

Saturday night Globe Trekker had a piece on the Deer River Rendezvous. They were filming it the day we arrived last year. I saw the camera guy and took a wide detour around him. Then I found out who they were. I'm not proud enough of my gear to go hamming it up in front of them anyway.

Temp just jumped to 102, man. Hottest I've seen it here.

No comments: