Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A second WOD.

I felt like looking up "cupidity" to see if I was guilty of it. I wish. If I were, I wouldn't be here goofing off.
n.
Excessive desire, especially for wealth; covetousness or avarice.

Actually, I'm no fan of covetousness, nor envy nor jealousy. And averice is determined by its consequences: what does it lead you to do?

I can't find it now, but I read a quote from one of the Founders to the effect that there is nothing so innocent or salubrious as earning money. Since I can't find it and check the context, I guess all I can do is provide my own thoughts.

I used earning in my paraphrase, though I like the expression making money just as well, because earning is difficult to confuse with stealing, scamming and counterfeiting. If your cupidity leads you to those activities, hopefully the cops will get you soon. Earning is getting paid to produce, trade or transport something.

Here. I need to go produce something.

No comments: