Monday, March 21, 2005

I've just been absorbing things since Friday.

I'd like to make jokes here about juice spills, germs and dextromethorphan, but I mean the news. And the news has been disturbing.

Particularly this school shooting at Red Lake High School. The Strib's history of the Reservation doesn't suffice to explain it, I'm afraid, though I don't fault their effort. There just aren't any more details yet.

My inclination is to believe that the last sentence of the latter article provides a hint of the source of a lot of the troubles, "During the 1990s, a new generation of tribal leaders also moved toward a more open and less autocratic government than the reservation had known earlier."

Of course, the source of that autocratic government was our own Indian policies. Speaking as an American, not as a man with Indian blood.

I've mentioned that I love guns, and I hate people who misuse them. Shooting unarmed innocents is cowardly. That meme needs to spread.