Saturday, June 05, 2004

I have spent the latter half of my day

watching tributes to Ronald Reagan. [deleted non-sensical joke]

Ronald Reagan was the first president I was able to vote for. Jim Powell's book, The Triumph of Liberty, will tell you why I don't regret it one whit.

The tributes portray a true, American hero. I watched NBC. Tom Brokaw gave an account of Reagan's accomplishments that Rush Limbaugh can only envy. Of course I think they can afford to be generous when they're certain every "liberal" in America has turned to other entertainments. Here's the Washington Post.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), who since 1962 from his seat in the Senate watched the rise of Reagan and with him the Republican resurgence, said: "We often disagreed on issues of the day, but I had immense respect and admiration for his leadership and his extraordinary ability to inspire the nation to live up to its high ideals."

Departing from the Democratic pattern, Kennedy went on to say that Reagan "will be honored as the president who won the Cold War." He also drew a direct connection between Reagan's handling of the Soviet Union and his brother's, saying that "his 'Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall' will be linked forever with President Kennedy's 'Ich bin ein Berliner.' "

From MSNBC:

“My family and I would like the world to know that President Ronald Reagan has passed away after 10 years of Alzheimer’s disease at 93 years of age. We appreciate everyone’s prayers,” Nancy Reagan said in a statement.


She had, and still has, mine.

To me, the greatest phrase ever uttered in public was "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

Update: I also think it's important to consider opinions from Black America Today.

No comments: