Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Oh, what have I done?

I went and nominated myself (I Freudian typoed "myserf", there) to be Vice Chair of my Republican District. Three of us did and we were all voted in. What a deal!

And all five precinct officers are also delegates to the next level convention.

Now I'm going to have to be an upstanding citizen for two years. What was I thinking?!

The gal sitting next to me was voted Chair. Unfortunately I was feeling a bit euphoric, so I was voicing every silly thought that popped into my head - sort of quietly heckling the proceedings. I think I just made an enemy of my boss. Oh, and also, I have a pulled muscle in my back that hurts whenever I try to move my head, in such a way that I reflexively reach for it - so I was fidgeting like Termagaunt the whole night.

I suspect she's a McCain supporter - the diametric opposite of my guy Ron Paul. She did say that "we have a responsibility to support the candidate who has a possibility of winning."

I respectfully disagree.

BTW, the presidential pole in our precinct went: Romney 18, Huckabee 8, Ron Paul 4, McCain 3.

And we passed along a party plank resolution, authored by a fellow RP supporter saying that we wish to deny recipients of matricula consular ID cards the right to use them for anything valuable in the US. I couldn't argue.

I see the argument for open-borders, but I also see the argument for shutting them down when you've been attacked. And reopening them in a very gingerly fashion.

My guy Dave Thompson just said that he [speaking of Freudian slips, I just capitalized "He"] just said that he had no problem with Ron Paul, he has a problem with some of his supporters. I get that.

Looks like Romney and Obama won Minnesota, but these are caucuses, not a primary, so, essentially, this is a straw poll. And, remember, somehow my neighbors made me a vice chair and a delegate. We just got us a force multiplier.

No comments: