Friday, February 29, 2008

My Fair Lady

My wife bought tickets, from the local PBS affiliate (so they were more expensive than they otherwise would have been, but they were well worth the price--we brought a spotting scope and a pair of binoculars, not knowing where we were going to end up, but they were absolutely unnecessary--we were in the eighth row), to that play.

I'm having a hard time writing right now without using the passive voice excessively. You see that I did manage to write a topical title without using "I," so I overcame that bugaboo.

The play was...how can I say this without sounding gay (another bugaboo)... Ah, screw it! The play was marvelous! I've loved "My Fair Lady" since I saw it on TV when I was about six. Henry Higgins is the man I want to be. But only if he gets Eliza Doolittle in the end.

Now long time readers (and there actually are a few) know where my passion for Audrey Hepburn comes from. Although, if you don't have a passion for Audrey Hepburn, I'll never understand what's wrong with you.

My wife and I are now contriving ways to get the kids to the play. We all watched the PBS special on the new production (twice) and the older girl really wanted to see it.

I'm going to write more on this on the other blog, but I have to go to the BPOU convention tomorrow. Hopefully I'll feel like it Sunday. I can't imagine losing enthusiasm for the subject, but I know how memories of dreams work.

In that light, I should say right now that although we had the understudy(?) playing Eliza, she was magnificent. What a marvelous voice that girl has! I'll have the playbill in front of me when I write my Bourgeois Philistine review so I can name names, but I had to put something out quickly about how much joy this has brought to my life. I felt terribly guilty about not putting something out about this before now. But my wife needed some attention.

No comments: