Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Teacher: David Leibforth

My favorite teacher seems to have retired to Arizona, enjoyed success as a local politician and retired again.

I'm a bit distracted by an effort to bring up a Google Map of the Verde Valley. I envy Herr Leibforth. I spent eight enjoyable months about a hundred miles north of there, from June '86 to February '87.

Well, honestly, I could have stood to have had the gentleman looking over my shoulder during those months. I experienced many of the highest high points of my life then, and all of the lowest of the low points. Some of the former and all of the latter involving alcohol and/or drugs.

You'd think a guy would learn.

But I mean to praise Herr Leibforth, not lament my own poor decisions.

Der gute Lehrer hat uns Deutsch gelehrt. [I should use the simple past in writing, rather than the compound, but I had to concentrate on using the more conversational compound past tense in the latter years of my training as a German speaker, so now that has become the stonger habit.]

Oop! Interruption.

No comments: