Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Preliminary! Preliminary! A list of abhorrent presidential acts.

I need to do more research.

Here’s a good resource, but I'd almost be tempted to call it a Whitehouse Whitewash:

1. Washington – violent suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion.
2. Adams – Alien and Sedition Acts (although, I abhor the latter more than the former.)
3. Jefferson – Embargo Act of 1807
4. Madison – Nothing really bad on the Whitehouse site.
5. Monroe – Ditto.
6. Adams, J.Q. – proposed a lot of unconstitutional things
7. Jackson – removal of Indians from the eastern states.
8. Van Buren – Huh! I like the guy!
9. Harrison, Wm – Gave an excessively long inaugural speech, but then he died from it.
10. Tyler – I know he did something I don’t like, but it’s not on the Whitehouse site. Supported the Confederacy after his presidency, but for reasons I respect.
11. Polk – Mexican War. Although Whitehouse.gov makes it look reasonable.
12. Taylor – Pushed for holding the Union together by force.
13. Fillmore – He did quite a bit, actually, but signing Fugitive Slave Act is what I most dislike.
14. Pierce – signed the Kansas-Nebraska Act repealing the Missouri Compromise.
15. Buchanan – And they called Grant “Useless.”
16. Lincoln – “You have no oath registered in Heaven to destroy the government, while I shall have the most solemn one to preserve, protect and defend it." No, sir. The oath says, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

No comments: