Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mel Gibson Being Stupid (invadesoda)

As someone who has defended the film "The Passion of The Christ" against charges of anti-Semitism, I am entirely disgusted with Mel Gibson's recently reported anti-Semitic remarks . I had defended against criticisms of the movie because I saw them as veiled attacks from people who had a bone to pick against Christianity itself. Gibson's father has denied the Holocaust, but I was sure the son was smarter than that. I was wrong.

I agree with Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League that "his tirade finally reveals his true self and shows that his protestations during the debate over his film 'The Passion of the Christ,' that he is such a tolerant, loving person, were a sham." Some will now try to say the film is not anti-Semitic even though its creator is. That rings false to me. Here's why.

I have never been one inclined to complain much about left-leaning bias in the media, simply because most journalists in the media are left-leaning. I believe someone can be left-leaning and still report fairly in some cases, but what I don't believe is that someone can be left-leaning without that outlook seeping into their most important journalism. To be consistent, I have to consider Mel Gibson's work the same way. An anti-Semite can no more make a film about Jews that's not anti-Semitic than a left-leaning journalist's body of work can fail to be left-leaning.

I never got around to seeing the movie, and now I have no reason to.

No comments: