Saturday, August 19, 2006

I did indeed finish the Heart of Summer 10K

Some of you may understand why I don't mention the primary sponser of the race. If you don't get it, you just won't. Forget it.

Here's a link.

Katie McGregor, btw, made $7,000 on the race, I forget where it came from, but it was $500 + $1500 + $5000. Not bad for half an hour's work. Kinda makes you think about getting serious about this game.

Oh! And here's where you can verify my veracity. 2006 results will be up Monday.

Of course, it was more than a half hour of work for me. My time was 56:54 and I finished 262nd overall. Nobody considered giving me any prizes.

[Mike Nelson, of Mystery Science Theater 3000, is ripping Road House - one of my favorite movies - on the radio (on the Northern Alliance) behind me. It's quite a distraction.]

There was a 72-year-old who beat me by over ten minutes, but at least I whupped up on the truly rotund women.

[Later addition] Oh, btw, there were no truly rotund men in the race. That speaks worse of the men than of the women who had the guts to get out there. I was about the fourth or fifth heaviest guy there (though one or two of them were big linebacker types). And it seemed to me to me that nobody dropped out. There were plenty of finishers after an hour and twenty minutes. You have to admire a gal who can push that hard for that long.

I hitched my wagon to the wrong horse for this race. Although, come to think of it, I guess what I did wrong was unhitch from that horse at about 3 miles. I think it might be entertaining to talk about that horse.

I found myself, within the first mile, behind a young, hot gal in tight shorts, obviously wearing a thong underneath. I kept up with that vision for the next 2 and a half miles. Unfortunately, at that point, sexual attraction dropped below self-preservation in my priority list and I let her go.

Judging by the way I feel now [Fantastic!], I should have kept up with her. She knew what she was doing.

I won't forget that in future races: find the hottest chick you can and don't let her out of your sight. I'm good enough at running that the hot chicks are at my level; I'm not looking at emaciated freaks nor competitors with the globe.

No comments: