Saturday, October 02, 2004

Sorry, Man. The family kept me busy the last couple days.

I had Thursday and Friday off, but you couldn't tell it by my blog production. We were preparing to go to our last Rendezvous for the year, but the weather went to s*** and we don't have any cold weather clothes. ("Period appropriate" ones, anyway.) The Albert Lea Rendezvous sounds kind of weird to me (and I wanted to see it just for that reason) because it spans the period from 1650 to 1865 - still pre-cowboy but extending beyond the fur trade, which was pretty much dead after 1850. About the only thing tying that span together was the flintlock rifle (although the wheellock and matchlock were used in the first half) which remained the favored weapon of the mountain men until use of the brass cartidge and rifles like the Winchester lever-action became widespread.

Anyway, the cold and the rain put the kibosh on that plan, as my Dad would say.

I may have been inspired to action if I'd seen that my buddy Joe Gandelman had quoted my comment on the Debate in full. Once in a while he reminds me that I'm part of something bigger than a dorm-room bull-session and I appreciate it.

I've been keeping up with the goings on at the Northern Alliance primarily by listening to their radio show. I couldn't figure out why Hugh Hewitt was talking about Nick Coleman the other day... Dammit! He was on the show today and I missed it. I had to go out and trim the hedge. I do that manually these days, so the noise wouldn't have kept me from listening, but I only seem to remember that my headphones' battery is dead when the baby is asleep in our room, where I keep the batteries.

Oh, never mind. They weren't really expecting him. They made the same joke at the State Fair. So I guess I didn't really miss anything.

So babysitting, housework, trying to learn Finnish before my Mother-in-Law shuffles off this mortal coil. I fear there's cause to rush; I'm hoping that PhotoReading will help. Impossible to say, so far. I'm trying to learn it with the book at home, but they imply that you need to take the course, though reading the book first will make the course easier. I don't have the money to shell out for it right now, and I won't if there are no signs of hope for it. Beyond the obvious benefit of going over a book four times in two hours. This is as negative as I can be about it, though. I plan to give it my best. "No! Try not! Do! Or do not! There is no 'try.'" - a quote of Yoda, butchered by Mr. Scheele in the PhotoReading book. Or by the webmaster on their website. A bad omen?

Oh, in case you don't know Hugh Hewitt (It's possible I guess), here's one of the things he had to say on Friday about the debate, starting with a Kerry quote:
"Saddam Hussein didn't attack us. Osama bin Laden attacked us. al Qaeda attacked us. And when we had Osama bin Laden cornered in the mountains of Tora Bora, 1,000 of his cohorts with him in those mountains. With the American military forces nearby and in the field, we didn't use the best trained troops in the world to go kill the world's number one criminal and terrorist.

They outsourced the job to Afghan warlords, who only a week earlier had been on the other side fighting against us, neither of whom trusted each other.

That's the enemy that attacked us. That's the enemy that was allowed to walk out of those mountains. That's the enemy that is now in 60 countries, with stronger recruits."

Would the many terrorist attacks since 9/11 in Bali, Madrid, Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Beslan and elsewhere have occurred had the United States focused all of its efforts on Afghanistan? Yes. Would Zarqawi still be roaming freely throughout Iraq and the middle east, building his parallel networks? Yes. Would killing Osama at Tora Bora have stopped the Islamist fanatics around the globe? No.

John Kerry does not understand the enemy. He does not understand the war we are in, or how it must be waged. He doesn't understand the reason Libya disarmed. He doesn't get what's going on at all.

He was, last night, a well spoken fool. Most days he is a bore and a fool. The folks scoring a win for him last night because for 90 minutes he wasn't a bore aren't seriously examining what he had to say. But the voters will be talking to each other, not to the talking heads. Bush was smart to stay on message, stay focused and communicate again and again: He knows what we are up against. Kerry doesn't.

Pretty telling point (the third to last paragraph). Too bad Bush didn't make it.

And finally, Powerline provides the beautiful woman pic tonight. (I can't say she's scantily clad. Sorry.)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments: