Monday, October 25, 2004

Life is still a bit crazy.

I imagine it will be for a couple years yet.

The only reason I'm posting now is because the rotten kid kept me up past that magic moment when, if you laid your head down right now, you'd be out cold. I finally just put her in her crib and ignore her weak protestations. If she weren't completely exhausted, she'd try harder.

The Pack kicked the... the Cowboys? They kicked the Cowboys butt? Why does that seem unnatural to me? The Cowboys have never beaten the Packers at Lambeau, but they've only met there five times. Good to extend the old tradition, but it's not exactly a hoary one. To mix metaphors, it's rather a watered-down tradition.

Of course, I didn't miss a minute of my team blowing out "America's Team" 41-20. ["America's Team" my @$$, we all know who America's Team really is: the blue-collar working-man's team. It's more than just a name. I appreciate real cowboys but Dallas was just another big city by the time they got a pro-football team. They're the Dallas CityBoys.]

Then, since I was in such a good mood I had to watch Boston whoop-up on the Cardinals in the World Series. I actually love the Cardinals too as a Midwestern team that play real baseball (without the DH), but I find it hard not to root for the team that hasn't won since 1918 (before a St. Louis team existed in the Majors). I mean, they deserved the "Curse of the Bambino," but I'm ready to forgive and forget.

Ted Williams didn't deserve that.

I once worked out the numbers and it looks to me like Ted Williams could have hit well over 700 home runs if he hadn't taken time out for little things like WWII and Korea. He couldn't field like DiMaggio, but he could hit better. Same for Willie Mays who could also field better than DiMaggio. It's doubtful that he could have beaten Hank Aaron, though. It's pretty certain Mr. Bonds will. Still nothing proven against him, drug-wise, I'm glad to hear. [Wow! Parse that sentence.]

Woulda coulda shoulda. Brilliant careers are cut short by many things. Bo Jackson could have stuck to baseball too. Hell, I should have stuck to baseball. (I had to quit at seven: it was just too hard to keep it up where we lived, with my Dad doing what he did for a living.)

I grouse (to myself) about Ron not going to college for the reasons he cites, but the fact is I've made some dumb decisions myself for very similar reasons.

But it's not my intention to engage in a whine-fest.

No comments: