Thursday, October 28, 2004

Here's something else I ran across

at Townhall.com today. American Land Rights Association. It's a press release for here's the report.

I found it interesting to discover that my rep, Jim Ramstad, scored a 42% on their card. Maybe I'll write myself in on that line. I should have run against him. The other Minnesota Republicans are all great, while the Democrats are abysmal except for Colin Peterson, who scored 83%.

Going through my known readers states, I see that all the Wisconsin Republicans are at least acceptable, while their Dems are worse than ours. In Georgia, the Republicans look pretty good and two Democrats, Bishop and Scott, scored 50% or better--Zell Miller only scored 44%.

Iowa is interesting: Grassley 78%, Harkin 11%--that's not surprising, but in the House, they've got a Republican (Leach-17%) who scored worse that their only Democrat (Boswell-25%). The other Republicans are solid.

Indiana's Dems and Reps follow true to form: Republicans score high, Democrats score low.

The bag isn't mixed much in Ohio, the House Republicans all score high, though somebody needs to have a chat with Gillmor, who only got 75%. Oh, the two Senators, both Republicans, both scored lower than that: DeWine-56% [glare] and Voinovich-67%. (I had a reader from Ohio once. I can't remember who it was.)

And Oklahoma's Congressmen all score pretty high, considering their party affiliations: all the Republicans are 92% or higher, while the lone Democrat scored 42%.

Everybody else is on their own. Check it out. They also explain the particular votes that led to their rankings, though you have to question the fact that they include a couple frre speech votes as property rights issues. There were a couple that I would have rejected on a property rights basis as they describe them here. I mean, I suppose the Cherokees should be free to dispose of their property as they see fit, but it looks to me like they got shorted. I've also heard good arguments that timber companies should build their own roads on leased federal and state land, rather than get them free from the government. It's a breech of my property rights as a taxpayer to subsidize them that way, and it also weakens the argument for free enterprise when they cut all the trees right up to the tops of mountains when they couldn't afford to do that on their own.

No comments: