Thursday, September 11, 2003

Went to a meeting tonight.

My fourth. The first was 16 hours after my last drink.
They are very friendly, kind people. All with the same basic problem I have, and a solution that works. Thinking of them throughout the week helps keep me from taking that first drink.
Tonight, we read from a book called, I believe, Living Sober, about avoiding emotional entanglements and/or making major life/relationship changes until you've been sober long enough to handle any shocks other people might deal you. Like don't fall in love with your counselor or sponsor, and don't peg your sobriety to anything they might do. Your sobriety is between you and your higher power. And you might want to avoid that urge to divorce your spouse until you're really sure it's not just the emotion brought on by the denial of alcohol.

No comments: