Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Bourgeois Philistine Shopkeeper

I'll make the T-shirts as soon as I get an order.

I failed to get to the Fair this year.

For the last two years I helped out at the Minnesota Libertarian Party booth, but this year I was too depressed about having to quit drinking. Still dry, by the way.

Actually, I just had too many home repairs to do.

My father-in-law was down helping me this weekend, and we endured silence because we can't abide one another's taste in radio stations. He likes to listen to MPR talk and I prefer Right Wing talk. At least until our right wingers morph into Big Government Imperialists.

Actually, the latest Weekly Standard is pretty good. They're riding the edge between traditional conservatism and neo-conservatism. There's a nexus between imperialism and national defense that a good strategic thinker would oscillate into now and then. I won't criticize a conservative president for stepping into that nexus and I don't see Kristol stepping out the wrong side of it this week. If I find the article where he did, I'll link it. Otherwise, The Light of Reason and Anti-war.com will help you find it. Oops, I said Irving Kristol, I meant William.

One comment about the economy. I understood employment was--and has always been--a lagging indicator. The Keynesians say that demand rises, then production, then employment. It sounds to me like the first two are coming along, now it's time for employment to rise. But hey! The doom and gloomers need to make hay while the sun shines, eh?

Check out this chart folks.

No comments: