Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Dallas SOS (Secular Organizations for Sobriety) group

has a helpful page - they call it a toolbox.  Here's one that I use a lot myself:
Fear — use it if you get it. Don’t live in fear, but use it. The same goes for horror, shame, regret or any other negative thoughts or feelings that may come when you think about your drinking days. Don’t stifle or deny these states of mind. Use them as tools to reinforce yourself, not stumbling blocks.
Maybe I should add the link to the page where I found this; there are a ton of other useful links there.

I haven't mentioned lately that I'd like to get together with like-minded ex-drunks (perhaps I should put that in quotes - it's an ongoing struggle) for a stroll through one of our local parks here in the northern suburbs of Minneapolis. Or Minneapolis, itself, of course - wonderful parks there, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. I've bookmarked it to return to when I have more time to read :) I tried being a friend of Bill several times, but I didn't find him very friendly? That and he always seemed to be ok with making excuses for me to be a complete asshole. I had to grow up and move out. xoxo

Al said...

For what it's worth, you have my support. If I can be of any help, I'll do what I can.