Saturday, December 25, 2010

WOD Alert!

I used this one in a conversation with my daughter the other day, she asked me what it meant and I realized that I don't remember ever having looked it up:
co·gent   /ˈkoʊdʒənt/ Show Spelled
[koh-juhnt] Show IPA

–adjective
1. convincing or believable by virtue of forcible, clear, or incisive presentation; telling.
2. to the point; relevant; pertinent.
Use cogent in a Sentence
See images of cogent
Search cogent on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1650–60; < L cōgent- (s. of cōgēns, prp. of cōgere to drive together, collect, compel), equiv. to cōg- ( co- co- + ag-, s. of agere to drive) + -ent- -ent

3 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

It can also be found in the housing code, a habitat for two guys...co-gent.

Al said...

Ha!

I meant to mention that, yes, I had used it correctly, and my definition to Rosie was pretty good. Something about a clearly explained argument. I think I made it fit the context better.

Anonymous said...

That housing code thingy might explain the link to images? lol