Sunday, March 25, 2007

We Americans need to celebrate the Bill of Rights once a month

I'm thinking we should have First Amendment Day in January, Second Amendment Day in February, Third in March and so on through October - in which we discuss the history and meaning - the original and ongoing debates - of each of the first ten amendments. If I'm not mistaken, Constitution Day is December 15... and I believe the Bill of Rights was ratified in January. Or was it March?

If it was March, it's a good time to bring up the idea.

Tomorrow's the 26th, let's celebrate the Third Amendment. We can work on it all week.

What's the Third Amendment? Thou shalt not quarter soldiers in thy neighbor's house, I think.

Oh, here's my Constitution, "Amendment III: No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of War, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

The Founders had great faith in democratically elected legislators, I see. I think I like my joke version better. America has probably adhered to this one pretty well, though I don't know what the laws are on it.

I've just been mentally ruminating this idea for a while, I haven't done much research for it yet. I felt like throwing it out for discussion tonight.

Anybody?

No comments: