Sunday, March 04, 2007

Since the running season is coming up

I'll post this bunch of questions my sister asked me and my answers:

How consistent were you in your training?
I think I averaged 4-5 runs a week, though, as they got longer I actually ran less often. I went by feel more than anything else. I didn't let fatique stop me, but I was very careful about any other aches and pains. If the pain didn't go away after a few blocks of warm-up I went home and rested until it did.

Did you have to recover from any injuries?
Some blisters and a bleeding nipple. I'm still waiting for my right big toe nail to come off. But for the most part band-aids on the areas I tended to blister protected them. Along with some vaseline and running lube (whatever they call it), and talcum powder. The band-aid came off my left nipple. Hopefully women have better solutions for that one.

Why did you decide to do a marathon?
I ran the TC [Twin Cities] 1 Mile race, run by the same people, on the first of April and got caught up in the hype, but I'd always wanted to run a marathon and I'm getting old, so I figured it was now or never. TCM was my mantra sometimes in my earlier running career.

Also, it was harder to get into the TC 10 Mile than the Marathon.

Did you buy two pair of tennies?

Yeah, but I didn't like the second pair. I burned out a pair training, too.

Did you only run pavement, or did you find another surface to run on?

Generally I ran on paved streets, sidewalks and trails. There are short stretches of wood chips and dirt roads on my favorite routes.

How did the recovery go?

Resting is easy. I'm still resting, really. I've gained 10 pounds back since Christmas. I do a little running, but not enough.

Did you have pain for a few days, and what hurt?

I guess I pretty much covered that. There's definitely a tendency toward heel pain when I get serious about running. And the big blister under the toenail.

Don't forget that I finished in 5 hours, when I was shooting for 4 or 4 1/4. And I quit drinking 10 days before the race. That wiped out a few training runs as well. Either by diminishing the intensity of my effort or making me oversleep. That's drinking not quitting, I mean.

No comments: