Wednesday, June 22, 2005

All right! ...I came here for a reason! ...What the Hell was it?

That's a warning that this is just a BS post.

Oh, yeah! I was corresponding with my sister, the Assemblies of God missionary to the former East Germany. She's having trouble mastering German, so I told her to memorize the Gospel of John in German (Das Evangelium nach Johannes, auf Deutsch). I'd bet John has been responsible for more conversions than anybody.

Not having done that myself, I felt the need to pull out the old Heilige Schrift and give it a go.
1 Im Anfang war das Wort, un das Wort war bei Gott, un Gott war das Wort.
2 Dasselbe war im Anfang bei Gott.
3 Alle Dinge sind durch dasselbe gemacht, un ohne dasselbe ist nichts gemacht, was gemacht ist.
4 In ihm war das Leben, und das Leben war das Licht der Menschen.
5 Und das Licht scheint in der Finsternis, und die Finsternis hat's nicht ergriffen.

No umlauts! That makes it easy to type! That passage has always given me shivers.

[I'd be interested to hear how that sounds in Swiss Dialect - Schweizer Deutsch.]

OK, this is turning into one of my scatterbrained posts, but wth.

When I pulled out my Lutherbibel, a napkin fell out. On it was the message, "Thank You for Sharing Our Joy - Nancy and Scott, March 23, 1985."

Sadly, Scott (whose last name translates to 'manure field') appears to be my best friend in the world. Good thing I have my wife. It's sad because I never manage to get back to the old hometown, and I don't call anybody there, because I'm not going to go see them.

I'm a guy, though. The sadness is only skin deep. If I popped into C's (a bar that my old friends frequent) tomorrow, I think we'd all have a great time together. Even though the lot of them seem to have become involved in youth soccer. (Shudder.)

And being libertarian, Objectivist, "Buddhist" Lutheran in Minnesota isn't conducive to gaining a cohort. Maybe if I were gay it'd work, but I'm not.

Maybe dressing like a late Eighteenth Century Frenchman while camping will correct my social balance. I plan to do that several times this summer. I should talk some of those guys into blogging, then we'd really have something in common.

No comments: