Friday, April 29, 2005

Tag! I'm it!

It's the dreaded book meme!

Liberty Dog tagged me, but Hamster Motor has the best explanation:
Most people seem to have forgotten what this means. In the end of the book, you find out that there exists a hidden society in which each person has preserved a book or several books in their memory. They literally become books. This society is the repository of human knowledge and thus they will be the ones to rebuild civilization after the nuclear attack. Accordingly, I must ask what is the most valuable thing to possess, what is the most important piece of information that can be passed down?

You're stuck in Fahrenheit 451. Which book do you want to be?

Okay, assuming they survive the fall of Civilization (the world of Fahrenheit 451 is something other than civilization), and their chosen books are preserved, I would choose the Anti-Federalist Papers.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Dominique Francon gets me hot.

The last book you brought is:

Ho ho! You thought you'd catch me out! It was The Gulag Archipelago, by Solzhenitsyn.

What was the last book you read, and what are you currently reading?

All the way to the end, Blog, by Hugh Hewitt. Currently, I'm reading, in my usual scatter-brained way, The Gulag Archipelago, Economic Sophisms, by Frederic Bastiat, Aristotle I, from the Great Ideas Series [OK, that's not exacly what I'm reading, but it's about the series], and Guerrilla Capitalism (about a third of the way down), by Adam Cash. [Wow! Lot's of fun stuff at Loompanics.com! But, oddly enough, this book isn't there now.]

What five books would you take with you on a desert island?

Hopefully, before the plane crashes, I'll be able to get ahold of whatever Lileks is coming out with. We'll need a laugh. Atlas Shrugged is always worth rereading. The Bible never fails to reveal something you didn't notice before. Blackstone's Commentaries on The Law, edited by Bernard Gavit (a legal Positivist, whose comments on Blackstone constitute a lesson on how the law shouldn't be understood). And, finally, Selected Essays, by Frederick Bastiat: Sophisms has "The Petition of the Candlemakers", but it doesn't have "The Law". Both are included in The Selected Essays, and much more besides. That choice is made tougher by the fact that Sophisms is very well organized conceptually, but I want to restart civilization, and "The Law" and "The Petition" are the flint and steel. The other books are the char cloth, tow, tinder and wood. (Ha ha! See if you can carry out an analogy any further!)

Who are you going to inflict with this meme?

Oo-ooh! You can see by the evil glint in my eye that I'm going to tag the Cheesehead brothers and their uncle. Steve, Mister Pterodactyl and Lance Burri.

No comments: