Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I missed commemorating a great day in American history!

Oldsmoblogger has posted the entire Longfellow poem The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.

I found him while checking the BS (BlogoSphere, I mean) for comment on Joseph Ratzinger's ascension to Pope. I always look to Ayn Clouter to stretch my intellect when I'm in that mode, and, though she has nothing on her own site yet, there were more commenters on the last post I linked.

As an aside, I added a second comment to Ayn's post:
I'm beginning to believe you're serious. Although your apparent repudiation of Lincoln belies that somewhat; he and the American Whigs, whom I repudiate, pretty much founded American corporatism and, hence, Progressivism. (Read historian Gabriel Kolko.)

[Anti-War.com's Ralph Raico does a better expose on that than I ever have. So read him, not me.]

I agree with what you say in that our corporations, in their current state, aren't actually enslaving people and that they now spend a great deal of money trying not to discriminate or pollute, and they try way too hard to cater to anyone who claims they aren't doing enough on those scores.

But...they're still too entwined with the Guys with Guns (I mean the government - yeah, I'm a nut) for my taste. Subsidies, tariffs, taxes and regulations - that exclude the little guy from entry into their field, and thus solidify the current class structure - are their tools.

And Oldsmoblogger has a great post on "the nature of evil: more precisely, the difference between the Boethian (from Boethius, author of The Consolations of Philosophy) and the Manichean (or dualist) views." It's a summary of a book, if not quite a review, but worth a look.

No comments: