Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Daniel J. Flynn on Intellectual Morons

"There is no baby universe branching off, as I once thought," Stephen Hawking told a group of shocked scientists this summer in Dublin. Hawking’s theory of parallel universes and energy-destroying black holes, the wheelchair-bound scientist concluded, was wrong.

When Stephen Hawking’s theories came under attack, he rethought rather than retrenched. Hawking’s goal, after all, is not the promotion of Stephen Hawking or the idea of parallel universes, but the pursuit of truth.

Maybe I'm not good at it, but I'm a stickler for intellectual honesty. Read the whole thing.

One thing I insist on is reading the arguments that my betters claim to be evil. That's why I have, for instance, linked to Herbert Spencer and Max Stirner. [Summaries respectively Spencer and Stirner.] In all honesty, I agree pretty much whole-heartedly with Spencer, and disagree a bit with Stirner. Specifics would require a rereading.

No comments: