Monday, September 20, 2004

All righty, here're some pix. [Additional commentary added]

Here's me, looking piratical:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

All right, I'm pretending to be a Voyageur, not a pirate. A guy can dream can't he? All you'd have to do is shoot the guys in the next canoe after all....

Le Fort du Riviere aux Serpent:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Rosie took this view from the tent flap:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I want one of these:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The flintlock reliability contest--about as good an action shot as I'm capable of with a camera with a 2-second delay after you press the button:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

That gal won. I don't have a flintlock, so no, I didn't compete. The contest is that you load and fire in order down the line; if your weapon misfires, you're out. No bullets or shot here, just powder and wads. The real shooting event was in Harris, MN, but that is as much info as the internet has. It's extremely private.

I failed to defend my title as the Snake River Stone Throwing Champion. Here's my excuse: Rosie and I were walking along taking pictures on the river trail--I was carrying the baby--when we happened upon the stone throwing contest, just as Mary, who runs everything, was saying, "is there anybody else for the Men's Stone Throwing Contest!" Well, as the reigning champ, I had to speak up and take a shot. I was absolutely cold, no psych and only one attempt allowed. I placed fourth. That big guy in the picture I mentioned, took second, and two Juriks took first and third.

Ah, well... It's all in good fun.

My budding young photographer--and model--
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
won the girls Cat and Mouse Competition, for which she got three broaches (which I'd scan for you if I could find them). Cat and Mouse is a very interesting variation of Tug-of-War in which you and your opponent each stand on a log and try to either capture the flag tied in the middle of the rope or pull your opponent off of his or her log. And besides that Rosie also took third in the women's--yes I said women's--footrace. That was another case in which we ran across the competition while out on a walk. She wasn't up for the girl's race for some reason, but she jumped right in when the women were called. The kids' races were only about 150 yards, but both the adult races were about 3/4s of a mile. I was deeply impressed and proud, even though there were only 4 women (including 7-year-old Rosie) competing, and one, who wasn't actually qualified to run, because she was competing for best all around Voyageur, and had already run in the men's race. That gal's quite the competitive nut, but a very cute and lovable competitive nut.

Unfortunately I filmed all those things with the movie camera, and I don't know how to share those with you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

adult computer games freeware I like your posts Thank you! In quotations! Wine and women bring to us The author, and you are out of town? Super! Everything is very clear and competently, and at the same time without philosophising and narcissism, and in accessible language. Rare case when a person is divided into topical and interesting infoy. Thanks to author! The morning began with a wonderful article, thank you! Quite strange material you provide to us The author, and you are out of town?

Al said...

Check the date.

Where are you from?